SANTA CRUZ’S TRAVIS REYNOLDS WINS ANDREINI SHAPE-OFF
Record attendance at two day surfboard celebration in Del Mar.
May 7, 2018 – Del Mar, Ca — A packed house at The Boardroom International Surfboard Show presented by US Blanks watched Travis Reynolds claim the 2018 Icons of Foam Tournament of Champions Shape-off. The shape-off competition featured six former champions, and two wildcards shapers, all attempting to replicate a series of surfboards designed by Icon of Foam honoree Marc Andreini.
“Wow. I’m blown away,” said Reynolds from Santa Cruz, Ca. “It means a lot to compete against these fine shapers…to have my family here… it’s incredible. What an honor to win the Marc Andreini Shape-off and to compete against this crew of past champions. I’ve been thinking about our friend Chris Lundy who passed away recently. I dedicate this victory to Chris.”
The eight international shapers: defending champ Rex Marechal, Ricky Carroll, Wayne Rich, Stu Kenson, Roger Hinds, Matt Calvani, Bill Barnfield and eventual winner Travis Reynolds.
This years format consisted of man-on-man heats with single elimination. Round one saw the competitors replicate an Andreini Michael Peterson inspired design, round two an Andreini Vaquero, and the final heat pitted #3 seed Wayne Rich vs. #8 seed Travis Reynolds as they each shaped an 11′ Andreini glider. US Blanks provided all the foam for the event and $1K was awarded to Reynolds in closely judged final, and Reynolds’ name etched into the Icons of Foam Tribute to the Masters Mike Marshall perpetual trophy.
ABOUT THE SHOW
- 6321 people attended the show
- Barry Snyder of Barry Snyder Designs and Jack Sabala of Night Train Surfboards took top honors in Best in Show presented by Ziobaffa Organic Wines: Snyder won for Best In Show Airbrush and Sabala for Best In Show Resin Color Work.
- Hansens Surfboards and Dick Brewer Surfboards were honorable mentions in Best in Show.
- 12 boards laminated on-site in the Douglas Surf Products lamination demo
- 108 autographs by Marc Andreini
- 131 surfboards were sold
- 10 surfboards given away
- 45 custom surfboard orders written
- 74 rare and unique surfboards sold at California Gold Surf Auction.
VIPs in attendance included Renny Yater, Jeff Timpone, Jojo Roper, Joe Roper, Dick Brewer, Chris Christenson, Malcolm Campbell, Chas Smith, Dave Parmenter, Carl Ekstrom, Steve Pendarvis, Cher Pendarvis, Sam Cody, Steve Walden, Randy French, Gregory Harrison, Sam George, Britt Merrick, Jon Pyzel and many others.