Royce Cansler Sport of Kings Foundation
May 20, 2012 — — Down The Line Surf Talk Radio with Bassy n Baldy on XTRA SPORTS 1360AM in San Diego; on iTunes podcast (Google it).
Contact us @ssurfboardexpo @jeffbaldy surftalksandiego@Gmail.com call the show 858.570.1360
Segment Sponsor Quiksilver Waterman Collection is presenting next years’ Surfing Heritage Vintage Surf Auction presented by Quiksilver Waterman Collection which takes place May 11, 2013 in the brand new state-of-the-art building at the OC Fairgrounds called The HANGAR. Quiksilver Waterman Collection and their brand ambassadors on twitter Mark Healey @healeysurf , Shayne McIntyre @ShayneMcIntyre, Jamie Mitchell, Peter Mel @peter_mel, Mel Pu’u: Robby Naish;
Email#1: Hey there at Surf Talk Radio,
I’m planning a Bar Mitzvah party May 26 for my “nephew” Adam. His mom, Marcy, who passed 10 years ago form non hodgkin’s lymphoma was my best friend. Our mom’s, Faye and “Aunt” Cindy, have been friend since the 2nd grade. Now I am the proud “Uncle” to ensure that Adam has the opportunity to honor his mother and Tradition.
As surfing is one of ADAM’s favorite things to do (Hence the theme of his Bar Mitzvah http://youtu.be/ez2QCm5f4LQ , I was trying to reach out you at Surf Talk Radio. To see if you could sent him a letter of Congratulations, a signed photo or maybe mail him Surfing related Swag I can include in a BIG surprise Bar Mitzvah Gift?
Hey there Bassy. Baldy is killer, but just wondering… where is Marty? Baldy and Marty totally sound alike. Separated at birth?
Email #3Hey Bassy and Baldy,
Jim Cook here from NY… just wanted to add a name to the Coolest Surfer Ever list..
how about Greg Noll, the guy was all-time at Waimea, started his own business, master craftsman board builder, and now lives in Northern Cali fishing and building boards with his son.
take care guys. Jim Cook
Segment #2: Royce Cansler Sport of Kings Foundation –
The word legend gets overused a bit, but a true legend in the surfboard industry passed away May 12, Terry Martin, shaper for Hobie surfboards.
Tell us a little about Terry Martin… who the man was, why he was and is so special.
Tonight, a special evening “From Wood to Foam the Terry Martin Project”
Sport of Kings Foundation – a great cause.
Top 5 Stories:
1) John John Florence wins Billabong Pro Rio vs. Parko in final
Good waves – punchy beach break with tubes and ramps and crackable sections
Parko moves to #1 in the world
Josh Kerr has back to back to back semi finals showing moves him to number #3 in the world
John John was riding a new model board made by his longtime shaper and family friend Jon Pyzel. “Congrats to John John on his victory. It highlights the importance of having the right equipment under your feet. We have been working together on this new design together and are both really stoked on the result,” said shaper Jon Pyzel.
2) The Surfing Heritage Vintage Surf Auction presented by Quiksilver Waterman Collection has posted up the first of many auction ‘Sneak Peek’ videos. Installment number one highlights an exceptionally unique and rare big wave gun that is dripping with provenance, legend and lore. The aptly named Ah-woooo board was shaped by Mickey Munoz with Jeff Johnson for an iconic California waterman, the late Flippy Hoffman.
3) The Boardroom International Surfboard Show has opened up registration for booth space. Oct 6 & 7 DM Fairgrounds
4) Hurricane Season, hasn’t even officially started yet, but we have TS Alberto off of the Carolinas, and Hurricane Aletta formed off mainland Mexico; so this could be one fo the summers where Hurricane season kicks up some surf. Rumors that we may be returning to El Nino conditions.
5) sd surf film festival winners
SDSFF BEST FILM
lost and Found
SDSFF BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY presented by GoPro:
THIRTY THOUSAND (Richard James and Andrew James)
SDSFF MOST INSPIRATIONAL presented by *enjoy handplanes:
SOMEWHERE NEAR TAPACHULA (Stefan Hunt)
SDSFF HONORABLE MENTION:
GAUCHOS DEL MAR (Julian Azulay and Joaquin Azulay)
SDSFF BEST SHORT FILM presented by misfit pictures:
ANOTHER DAY IN THE LIFE OF WAYNE LYNCH (Cyrus Sutton)
SDSFF HONORABLE MENTION
FATHOMS LEFT TO FALL (Chris McClean)
SDSFF HONORABLE MENTION
SALMON THEORY (Dylan Ladds and Ryan Scura)